Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Daily Web Travels: aka "My RSS Fetish"

ok, so i have this thing where i'm constantly information hungry - techie stuff, crafty stuff, security stuff, programming stuff, design stuff, book whore (half price books, i love you), blah blah blah, the list goes on. and to make matters worse, my attention span is that of a goldfish...no i'm serious.

[side note about the short attention span thing: hasn't anyone noticed that almost all television programming is made that way? Don't believe me, watch MTV for a little bit. No camera shot gets more than 3-4 seconds on air time - and usually it's less than a second - creepy. we're being hand-fed AADD on a plate. moving on...]

OK, so how do i further worsen my need for information? RSS - Really Simply Syndicate (some people will call it something else - Rich Site Summary - stupid - HA!). Ok, so having said that, here are some of the RSS feeds i subscribe to and monitor on a sometimes minute-by-minute basis:

Jezebel:
I just found this one a few days ago. I think it just launched, too. It's a celeb blog run by 3 New York journalist with a twist - no "air-brushing" any information. I suppose Bust would be a good place to read up on stuff too, but I'm trying this one out for now.

Tutorial Blog:
Just as the title states - a web programming and design tutorial blog. I don't have a use for any of the Photoshop ones since i refuse to ever pay that much for an image editor. I'm sure there's more to it but....\\\///\\\///hatever!

Mashable!:
get all your news on what's going on in the world of social networking sites.

LifeHacker:
i love it - i love it - i love it! Not just for technology, but for life. Great site for getting technology to work for you and not the other way around.

Spoofee:
I purchased two 4 gig SD memory cards through Spoofee for $60 bux!

Digg.com:
...who doesn't subscribe to this?

Flickr:
...because I like looking at pictures. I'm all Pro now!

Google News reader:
all the news from the major sources all in one page...the page is so well laid out it makes me wanna cry (an AADD's dream come true!)

and an honorable mention to:
Woot: get over stock stuff for a crazy good price...limited quantity so they don't release the info until they have it...nerve racking. i avoid it like i do the auction site eBay ("...what?! I just clicked 'bid' and someone has already out-bid me?!?!? WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!").

From these sites I pretty much head everywhere else. It is still possible to concentrate on other things of course. However, I usually need to make a conscious effort to focus about 5 whole minutes in a task to get into it (about 15-20 for programming). It sux, but this way i keep things "well-rounded" and can take in lots of information while still being productive.

Ok...i think i feel better. back to work! :-)

No comments: